Factsheets designed to help you select crop or livestock enterprises for your farm. Whether you are a full-time farmer looking to diversify or a part-time farmer looking to generate additional income from your property, there are many important issues to consider when selecting a new enterprise.
The goal of the Agricultural Alternatives publications is to help you evaluate all aspects of a given enterprise before you commit your time and money.
- Each publication contains information on marketing, production, enterprise budgeting, and resource requirements to help you make a balanced evaluation of the enterprise for your operation.
- Each publication contains a list of references, websites, and in some cases the addresses of trade and marketing associations where you can get more information on the enterprise.
- Because farming involves more than growing a crop or raising livestock, there are additional facts sheets that focus on farm business management topics including marketing (including direct marketing and cooperatives), financing your operation, enterprise budgeting, business planning, managing risk (including use of insurance and understanding your potential liability).
- For those interested in producing horticultural crops, there are also two publications on irrigation and a publication on organic vegetable production.
- Farm Management and Marketing
- Horticultural Production Options