Environmental Stewardship Farm Partners
The farm owners are committed to adopting practices that maintain healthy horses, healthy farms, and a healthy environment. Each of the farms listed worked with the Extension Equine Team to select and implement one or more “Best Management Practices” (BMPs) on their farm. BMP’s were chosen to increase pasture canopy cover and improve pasture quality by increasing perennial grasses and desirable forages. Practicing rotational grazing, utilizing sacrifice areas, soil testing and applying lime and fertilizers are BMPs farmers were encouraged to adopt. Farms that decided to reseed pastures were provided with a seed mix that was custom blended for their farm based on soil conditions, farm management, pasture needs and level of use.
Partial funding for the project was provided by the Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education Grant (SARE), and Natural Resource Conservation Service Conservation Innovation Grant (CIG).
Check out the farms highlighted below: Farmers share their own experience and tell why they chose the BMPs, challenges they faced, and how they made it work!
- Stonewall Stables
- Owner: Craig Seyfried, Chester County, PA
- Ryerss Farm for Aged Equines
- Barn Manager: Lisa Shotzberger, Chester County
- L & B Farm
- Owner: Lisa Capp, Daulphin County
- Wind Crest Farm
- Owner: John Salisbury, York County
- Heritage Hills Equestrian Center
- Owner: Laura and Steve Zaharek, Northampton County
- Mar Gar Farm
- Owner: Martha Masiello, Chester County