Urban Edible Teaching Garden Hosts Inaugural Harvest Celebration
September 23, 2013
- Penn State Master Gardeners of Allegheny County are hosting one of this Fall’s first harvest celebrations at the Urban Edible Teaching Garden located at 400 North Lexington Street in the City’s North Point Breeze neighborhood on Saturday, September 28 from 1 to 3 pm.
Extension Educator Featured Speaker at Rain Garden Design and Management Workshop
September 12, 2013
- Etna Borough is no stranger to the destructive power of stormwater runoff, and the situation has only worsened with continued development higher in the watershed that replaces open land with impervious surfaces – roads, parking lots, and buildings. While making improvements to engineered stormwater management elements, borough official have also readily embraced green infrastructure as part of the solution. On Saturday, September 7, Etna Borough hosted a rain garden workshop aimed at helping landscape professionals learn to properly design, install and maintain rain gardens.
4-H Pittsburgh: Explore, Discover, Learn & Lead!
August 29, 2013
- Through the generous support of The Heinz Endowments, 4-H Pittsburgh has teamed with two long standing grass roots organizations (The Kingsley Association and Nabhi Christian Ministries) to deliver an innovative youth development program geared towards African-American males. The project will primarily involve two neighborhoods, Larimer and Lincoln-Lemington.
Corn Roast Brings Crowds to Farmers Market
August 20, 2013
- Penn State Extension – Allegheny County and the Pittsburgh Food Policy Council served up a good old fashioned community corn roast to Pittsburgh’s East Liberty Farmers Market on August 19, 2013. Chef Bill Fuller, Executive Chef of BIG Burrito Restaurant Group presided over the grill, roasting local corn to perfection using his popular ‘Kaya Corn’ recipe, served with chipotle aioli and lime wedges to farm market customers and farmers.
Annual “Garden in the Parks Field Day” Set for Saturday, August 17
August 9, 2013
- Penn State Master Gardeners of Allegheny County are hosting an open house at their demonstration gardens at North Park and South Park on Saturday, August 17 from 9 am to 1 pm. Activities at this annual family friendly event will include tours, demonstrations, tastings, and kids activities.
13th Annual Edible Flowers Food Fest Accepting Reservations Now
June 24, 2013
- This is a “Foodies Alert” for the adventurous! If you want to explore interesting dishes, in a charming & rustic setting, we invite you to experience the 13th Annual Edible Flowers Food Fest. This year’s food fest will be held on Thursday, July 18th - 7:00 pm at the Buffalo Inn, South Park.
Ohio Winery and Botanic Garden Tour Offered July 19 & 20
May 16, 2013
- Get ready for a short jaunt west this summer for tours of the famous Bluestone Perennials and the Cleveland Botanical Garden! We will have a winery tour & tasting on Friday, and dinner under the stars accompanied by music! Additional nursery shopping opportunities and a docent led tour of Lantern Court will round out our trip.
2013 Short Course Features David Culp Author of "The Layered Garden"
May 14, 2013
- Creator of the gardens at Brandywine Cottage, David Culp is an expert on garden layering and perennials. No where is his expertise more apparent than the majestic display of plants at his Brandywine Cottage, a garden listed in the Smithsonian Institution Archives of American Gardens and regularly highlighted by Martha Stewart Living and HGTV.
Master Gardeners offer Pollinator Program in the Courtyard of County Courthouse
May 14, 2013
- The evolution of the existing planters in Allegheny County Courthouse Courtyard began in 2009 when these four raised beds were retrofitted and converted into rain gardens. Downspouts were diverted, the beds filled with healthy soil and drainage material and populated with drought tolerant native plants. All are conscientiously maintained by a team of Penn State Master Gardeners who would like to invite the downtown crowd to learn more about them...
PSU Master Food Preserver to Offer Workshop Series
March 28, 2013
- Learn to preserve food safely using up-to-date research-based information. Offered individually or as a set, each three hour class will be composed of formal instruction, an actual preserving demonstration, samples, and recipes. Your instructor will be Penn State Master Food Preserver Susan Marquesen.
Trip to Philadelphia Flower Show and Garden Tour-Sold Out!
January 14, 2013
- Thank you for all your support! If you were unable to join us for this "Brilliant" experience, please check our Facebook page and future newsletters for upcoming excursions. Want to know what our 2013 Flower Show travelers will be doing, read on...Calling all winter-weary gardeners who have an itch for color and travel. Mark your calendar now for Wednesday and Thursday, March 6 and 7, 2013 when we will travel east to Philadelphia for the International Flower Show held right in the heart of the city, and the following day, a docent led tour of Longwood Gardens in Kennett Square.