General First Aid Instructions
Part 2, Section 1: Pest Management
Using Pesticides Safely
General first aid instructions
- Most important, be sure to protect yourself by wearing appropriate protective clothing and equipment if there is a likelihood of being directly exposed to a pesticide while administering first aid or removing the victim from an enclosed area.
- Have current labels and Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) available.
- Have emergency response telephone numbers readily available.
- Assemble a first aid kit with necessary supplies.
- Always have a source of clean water available. In an extreme emergency, even water from a farm pond, clean water irrigation system, or watering trough could be used to dilute the pesticide.
- If oral or dermal exposure occurred, the first objective is usually to dilute the pesticide and prevent absorption.
- If inhalation exposure occurs, first protect yourself, and then get the victim to fresh air immediately.
- Never give anything orally to an unconcious person.
- Become familiar with the proper techniques of artificial respiration; it may be necessary if a person's breathing has stopped or become impaired.