No-till Forage Seeding: Equipment
No-till drills are necessary for successful establishment of no-till forage. The drills needed are essentially the same for seeding in sod as for seeding following other crops. Many commercially available drills can do the job. A good drill should have individual flexibility for each row, have a wide range of easily changed depth adjustments, and be able to
- penetrate soil and/or residue properly. The drill must be heavily built or designed for the addition of needed weight.
- plant a wide variety of crops.
- perform well in various crop residue conditions.
- plant consistently well in both no-till and conventional seedbeds.
- apply granular insecticides.