Horse projects are offered in four interest areas:
- Performance/Horsemanship (Level 1, Levels 2-5) Youth select and care for a horse or pony and keep a record of all activities with their horse at each level.
- Production Youth in production projects breed a mare and/or raise and handle young horses up to four years of age. Records are kept for each animal enrolled in the project.
- Competitive Trail Riding Youth learn to select and condition a horse for competitive trail riding. Youth maintain records on project horses and record trail riding experiences.
- Horseless This project is for youth who do not own horses, but want to learn more about them. There are many opportunities for horseless members such as the safety and horsemanship skills programs, horse judging, hippology, horse bowl, skill-a-thon and communications contests, and much more!
4-H Skills For Life Animal Science Series:
These books are used as project activity guides (project books) for each of the project areas. Each level is designed to take 2-4 years to complete. A planning guide at the beginning of each book outlines required and optional activities and specific skills for each level. Twenty one activities should be completed before advancing to the next level.
- A0680A Horse Level 1; Giddy Up and Go
- A0690A Horse Level 2; Head Heart, and Hooves
- A0700A Horse Level 3; Stable Relationships
- A0706A Horse Level 4; Riding the Range
- A0707A Horse Level 5; Jumping to New Heights
- A0680C Horse Project Helper’s Guide