Birds of a Different Feather 4-H Poultry Club at the 2012 PA Farm Show
Posted: February 10, 2012
4-H member Matthew Holliday talking to ABA Judge and Cochin Breeder Jamie Matts about his bantam Cochin cock during 14 year old showmanship.
by Kurt Miller, Vice President, Birds of a Different Feather 4-H Poultry Club
This year at Farm Show went very well. There was a great turn-out of our club for showmanship. Showmanship was slightly different this year because, with the exception of the youngest and oldest divisions, there was only one age in each division. Showmanship was also held in the Expo Hall, whereas in previous years it has been in the East Hall (poultry room).
- Bryce Murray (1st place), Ronnie Clemmer (2nd) and Mariellen Kehler (3rd) competed in the 9 and 10 year old division.
- Will Tornambe (1st) and Reed Smith (3rd) competed in the 11 year old division.
- Emma Holladay competed against one other participant in the 12 year old division and won 1st place.
- Mitch Meadows (4th) and Rachel Satterthwaite (3rd) competed in the 13 year old division.
- Matt Holladay (1st) and Kacie Cassar (2nd) were the only participants in the 14 year old division.
- Katie Broderick was the only 16 year old there, so she was alone in her division.
- And in the 17 year old division was Josh Cassar (1st), Kurt Miller (2nd) and Sarah Nafziger (3rd).
Everyone did a great job!
Extra congratulations go to Bryce, Will, Emma, Matt, Katie and Josh. Good job, guys! All of the showmanship participants got to meet and shake hands with the PA Secretary of Ag., George Greig.
Here is the list of exhibitors who entered birds in the show: Mrs. Blum, Mrs. Brickson, the Cassars, Rachel Satterthwaite, Mitch Meadows, Kurt Miller, the Smiths, the Murrays and the Holladays.
On Sunday, Sophia Rich, Jamie Cameron and Kurt Miller gave a presentation at the Penn State booth. Their presentation was about egg colors and egg production. The presentation went well and there was a lot of interest from the public. Sophia, Jamie and Kurt are excited to give this presentation again at the upcoming January meeting.