Montgomery County 4-H Shooting Sports
Building Life Skills in the 4-H Shooting Sports Program
Specific objectives for the program are to:
- teach decision making, teamwork, self-discipline, self-confidence, and problem solving;
- promote the highest standards of safety, sportsmanship, and ethical behavior;
- encourage an appreciation and understanding of natural resources;
- develop leadership abilities;
- build character and willingness to assume citizenship responsibility;
- furnish enjoyable, positive relationships with peers and adult instructors;
- strengthen families through participation in lifelong recreational activities;
- build awareness of related career opportunities.
The Shooting Sports curriculum uses the resources of the land-grant university and the time, talent, and dedication of Cooperative Extension agents and certified 4-H leaders, instructors, and trainers who instruct 4-H members in firearms safety and marksmanship. The shooting discipline in Montgomery County is air rifle and is taught by a National or State Certified Instructor.
4-H members have opportunities to test their shooting, hunting, and sportsmanship skills in county, regional, state, and national competitions. In fact, they could ultimately set Olympic competition as their goal. There are seventeen Olympic shooting sports events, which continue to draw the third-greatest number of countries.
In Montgomery County we have two 4-H shooting sports club:
The Montgomery Co. Air Rifle Club and the Montgomery County Archery Club.
The clubs meet weekly at our 4-H Center with additional activities and meetings held at the leaders' discretion. Please contact our office at 610-489-4315 for leader contact information and our office staff will put you in touch with the shooting sports leader. The club leader will let you know when the next meeting is being held and give you more detailed information on club activities and events. When you attend the meeting and make the decision to join the club, the club leader will have all the necessary information for you to join 4-H.