2017 Schedule and Guidelines
Club Meetings & Activities
* Tuesday, March 21st - 7:00 p.m. - Farm and Home Center
• Leader Groups
• T-Shirt Design Contest – purchase new t-shirts $10/each
• Project book distribution & expectations
• Top project books from 2016
• Enrollment forms & signed club guidelines are due
• Parents of new members are strongly encouraged to attend this meeting
* Wednesday, April 19th - 7:00 p.m. - New Holland Sales Stables, 101 W. Fulton Street, New Holland, PA
• Meet in the small arena
• Guest Speaker-info on goat market in Lancaster Co.
• Last Chance to purchase t-shirts
* Tuesday, May 16th - 7:00 p.m.- Flahart's Farm, 176 Puseyville Road, Quarryville, 17566 (formerly scheduled for Linden Dale Farm - 127 Herr Road, Ronks, PA and changed to Flahart's)
• Tour 100+ dairy goat herd
• Hoof trimming, herd management
Quality Assurance Training Options (for those who didn't attend QA on January 24th):
Parents are strongly encouraged to attend with young members.
QA: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 – 7:00 p.m. - Farm & Home Center
QA: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 – 1:00 p.m. – Farm & Home Center
Rookie Workshop: Tuesday, June 20th – 6:45 p.m. – Welk Pride Farm – 1539 Lime Valley Road, Strasburg
• This program is targeted towards the 1st & 2nd year members.
• Livestock Essentials: health papers, packing your show box, livestock sale procedures, what the judge is looking for, showmanship, clipping, etc.
* Wednesday, June 21st - 5:45 p.m. - Global Aid Network (GAIN) - 1506 Quarry Road, Mount Joy, PA
- Packing humanitarian aid for shipment and overseas missions
- Must wear closed-toed shoes!
- Information and Release Forms will be emailed before this meeting
* Saturday, July 8th – 5:30 p.m. – East Lampeter Park, 2330 Hobson Rd, Lancaster, PA 17602 (located between Rte 340 & Lincoln Highway behind Dutch Wonderland)
• Picnic & Games
• Bring one dessert & one hot or cold side dish
• Sandwiches, drinks and paper products will be supplied
Goat Round-up, Friday, July 28th , West Lampeter Fairgrounds
Schedule: Weigh in – 2:00– 3:00 p.m.; Show – 4:00
Breeding Goat Classes will show first at 4:00 p.m. followed by showmanship and market animals. Guidelines and Entry Form for Round up will be emailed in June.
Meat breeding classes will be divided into classes by age
Showmanship classes will be divided into age divisions
Market Goat Classes will be divided by weight
Sausage Stand Fund-raiser
The club’s fund-raiser is held in conjunction with Manheim Farm Show - October 9th through 13th. Please be ready and willing to serve a shift in the sausage stand to help support our clubs activities & awards.
Saturday, November 4th – 7:00 – 8:30 p.m. – Chiques Church Family Life Center, 4045 Sunnyside Road, Manheim
• Open Gym Night & End of the Year Pizza Party
• Record Books are Due!
Friday, February 9, 2018- 6:30 p.m. - Farm & Home Center Auditorium - 4-H Livestock Banquet
• Recognition of 4-H Club Members
2017 Goat Club Guidelines
Goat Club Leaders
Barry & Dawn Geib
Dwane & Karey Newswanger
Gary & Kathy Jenkins
Members must attend 3 out of 5 (March – August) of the scheduled meetings in order to be eligible to receive club awards (Quality Assurance Meetings and Rookie Workshops are not included). If a member comes to a meeting after the roll has been called, it is that member’s responsibility to let the secretary know that they are there. Members must exhibit at the 4-H Roundup to be eligible to exhibit at the PA Farm Show. We realize emergencies and conflicts may arise. Situations will be considered on an individual basis by the leaders and if necessary will consult with the 4-H office.
All goats for 4-H round-up and local fairs must be owned by June 1st.
Each member must submit a completed project book each year. If you do not submit a project book, you will be ineligible for club membership the following year! All project books are due by the November meeting. It is your responsibility to make sure your leader has your completed book before the meeting if you are unable to attend the meeting.
Every goat club member must attend a 4-H quality assurance training and complete a written exam. We are offering three training opportunities. It is your responsibility to make sure you attend one of them and submit a completed exam. This is a Penn State University rule enforced to all animal exhibitors. No Training – No Show – No Exceptions!
If you have any questions or concerns at any time regarding the rules, please contact a leader for clarification.
Please have member & parent sign below, and bring to the March meeting.
I have read, understand, and will comply with the rules of the 4-H Goat Club as outlined above.
Goat Club Officers
Vice President....Jeremiah Snyder