Dairy Beef Schedule
Tuesday, February 21st – 7:00 p.m. – Farm and Home Center – Basement Training Room
• Guidelines/Ownership Information
• Record Book Expectations
• Dairy Beef Jeopardy
• First Year Members Sign Ups for Signs
Tuesday, March 14th - 7:00 p.m. – Farm & Home Center- Basement Training Room
• Learning Stations
Saturday, May 20 - 9:30 a.m. –Dan Groce – 190 Manchester Street, Manchester, Pa 17345
• Tour Dairy Beef Farm -1000 dairy beef from calves to finished steers
Quality Assurance Training Options: ( for those who didn’t attend QA on January 24th) * Parents are strongly encouraged to attend with young members.QA: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 – 7:00p.m. - Farm & Home Center
QA: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 – 1:00 p.m. - Farm & Home Center
Saturday, June 10th - 4:00- 7:00 p.m. – Davis’s – 1120 Prawls Hollow Rd, Peach Bottom
• Rookie Workshop - Essentials Before the Show Ring – health papers, packing your show box, livestock sale procedures, what the judge is looking for, showmanship, etc. Everyone is welcome, however the program is targeted towards the 1st & 2nd year members.
Saturday, June 17th - 4:00- 7:00 p.m. –Stewart’s – 1303 Long Lane, Columbia
• Rookie Workshop - Essentials Before the Show Ring – health papers, packing your show box, livestock sale procedures, what the judge is looking for, showmanship etc. Everyone is welcome, however the program is targeted towards the 1st & 2nd year members.
Saturday, July 8th – 4:00 p.m. – Ralpho Community Park – 960 Strickler Road, Mt Joy, Pa
• Soccer, Baseball & Basketball
• Covered dish picnic – Bring a hot and cold covered dish.
Wednesday, July 12 – Deadline to entry Round Up
• Entry forms and Guidelines will be emailed in June
• All entries received after July 12th will pay a $10/head late fee
Saturday, July 29th - West Lampeter Fairgrounds
• 4-H Dairy Beef Round-up Weigh In – 10 – 11 a.m. Show – Noon Project books are to be up-to-date and will be checked at weigh-in.
Sausage & Ham Loaf Stand Fundraiser
The club’s fund-raiser is held in conjunction with Manheim Farm Show, October 9-13.
Our work shifts are:
Wednesday: 2:30 – 5:45 p.m. and 5:30 – 9:00 p.m.
Thursday: 10:30 – 2:45, 2:30 – 5:45 and 5:30 – 9:00
Friday: 5:30 – 9:30
*Please be ready and willing to serve a shift to help support our clubs activities and awards.
Tuesday, November 7th - 7:00 p.m. - Farm & Home Center
• Project Books Due!!!
• Last names A- L bring a drink; M-Z bring a snack.
• Elect Officers for 2018
• Bring items for 4-H Benefit Auction Baskets
Friday, February 9th, 2018 - 6:30 p.m.-Farm & Home Center Auditorium
4-H Livestock Banquet
- Recognition of 4-H Club Members
Dairy Beef Leaders
Southern End: Brad Davis – 548-0393, Jerry O’Donnell- 548-4153
Manheim Area: Gerry Kready - 665-6094, Doug Musser – 653-5266
Millersville, Lampeter Area: Lori Hess - -205-8456
Mount Joy Area: Gary & Judy Zurin – 653-0143; Sandy Musser-653-4979
Ephrata Area: Glenn & Lisa Heinsey - 336-2060
Dairy Beef Officers
President: Emily Burkholder Vice President: Jacob Snavely
Secretary: Elise Balmer Treasurer: Holly Musser
Community Fair Dates
Elizabethtown Fair – Aug 21 - 26
Denver Fair – Sept 12 - 16
Solanco Fair – Sept 20-22
Ephrata Fair – September 26-30
West Lampeter Fair – Sept. 27-29
Manheim Farm Show – October 9-13
• All meetings will start promptly. If you arrive late it is your responsibility to see the secretary so she can record your attendance.
• Each member must attend 3 meetings in order to be eligible for any end-of-the-year awards, including round-up premiums, Golden Scoop award, project book awards, etc.
• An ownership form must be completed and signed by the seller of the calf, the 4-H member and the member’s parent/guardian. Calves will be ear-tagged by your 4-H leader in early spring. Please keep your ownership form in your project book.
• Members may only exhibit one calf.
• Please bring your project book to each meeting.
• 4-H member is required to submit a completed project book to their
leaders at the NOVEMBER meeting. You must complete a project book
to be eligible to participate next year!
• For fairs other than the 4-H Round-up, check the community